6 wedding dress tips for the plus size bride
1. Visualize - set up a Pinterest board - include colours, textures, materials and details that appeal to you – it could be a shape of a neckline, sleeve, back, skirt, train, silhouette, and even small things that you know you like and would go well with your wedding theme and venue. This will give you an overall impression of what feels YOU!
2. Know what’s right for your figure:
If you are heavier at the top but with hourglass figure in general you would look great in a
If you are heavier at the bottom an A-line cut is better
If you are apple-shaped choose and empire line or a ball gown
If you carry your weight in your mid-section or are relatively straight up and down, you may find a drop-waist dress flattering
3. Look into the details - heavier and thicker fabrics such as taffeta, duchess satin and some varieties of lace are ideal for curvy brides because they smooth everything out. If it’s is hot you can go for a lighter material with a good drape and heavy fall like georgette. Avoid heavily beaded materials.
Details like flat pleating and ruching can conceal imperfections.
Opt for a corseted bodice
Open or illusion neckline in a deeper scoop, sweetheart or a V-shape is very flattering
Thicker straps, cap sleeves or ¾ sleeves in light sheer material can give you a little extra confidence
4. Try dresses and don’t be discouraged – even if you don’t find the right one there’s always the option of going bespoke, so ask and research
5. You DON’T have to lose tons of weight because of your wedding, unless that’s what YOU want! You’re marrying the person who loves you and you are sharing that day with all the people who love you just the way you are. You do not need unnecessary stress!
6. Always go with your feeling and not what others say. Trust no more than two very close people to help you with your choice.